The Sunday Session #11 – Summer evening cocktails
I’ve filled this week’s Sunday Session with 7 mouth-watering cocktail recipes, courtesy of the wonderful Martha Stewart
. Once summer makes its long-awaited appearance, I’ll be mixing these special 7 regularly. Here’s to many balmy evenings on our roof terrace with good friends, good music and good drinks.
Pineapple and mango rumbos
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 mango cut into slices with skin (garnish)
- 120ml good quality golden rum
- 4 cups fresh pineapple juice
- fresh tropical fruit (garnish)
Puree mangoes, rum and 1/2 cup water in a blender. Pour 60ml of puree into each glass filled with ice and add pineapple juice. Garnish with tropical fruit.
Bing cherry mojitos
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups freshly squeezed lime juice (roughly 9 limes)
- 1.5kg cherries
- 550ml cherry (or plain) vodka
- 750ml sparkling water
Bring sugar and 1 1/4 cups water to the boil in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool completely. Pour lime juice into a large bowl. Halve and pit cherries and add to lime juice. Stir in syrup. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir cherry mixture and vodka in a large serving bowl. Fill 12 glasses with ice and pour 1/2 cup cherry-vodka mixture into each glass. Top up with sparkling water.
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (roughly 24 lemons)
- 2 cups vodka
Combine 2 cups water with the sugar and thyme in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and cool completely. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into a large glass measuring cup and discard thyme. Cover with plastic and chill for at least 1 hour. In a large serving jug, mix lemon juice, vodka and chilled syrup. Garnish with thyme.
Rosé wine punch
- 1/4 rockmelon, peeled
- 1 peach, pitted
- 1 nectarine, pitted
- 2 bottles chilled dry rosé wine
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups golden or red raspberries
Slice rockmelon, peach, and nectarine into bite-size pieces. Pour wine into a large jug and stir in sugar. Add sliced fruit and raspberries. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Tropical ginger punch
- 3 cups orange juice
- 3 cups pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups vodka
- 4 cups chilled ginger ale
- Orange wedges (garnish)
Mix orange juice, pineapple juice, ginger and vodka in a large jug. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Add ginger ale just before serving over ice.
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large sprigs fresh mint and basil, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup vodka
- juice of 1 lemon
- 750 ml Prosecco or Lambrusco
Keep 16 berries. Mash the remaining berries, sugar and herbs in a large glass bowl. Stir in vodka, lemon juice and Prosecco. Pour mixture through a sieve into a jug, pressing through. Discard solids. Serve over ice and squeeze 2 berries into each drink. Garnish with herb sprigs.
- 3.5kg seedless watermelon, rind removed, fruit cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 3/4 cup silver tequila
- 24 basil leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons triple sec
- 6 cups small ice cubes
Place 24 watermelon cubes on a baking tray lined with grease-proof paper. Cover and freeze until set. Puree remaining watermelon and the sugar in a blender until smooth. Pass through a sieve lined with cheesecloth into a bowl. This should make 3 cups. Mix tequila and basil in a glass pitcher and crush basil with a wooden spoon. Stir in watermelon juice and triple sec. Place watermelon cubes in glasses. Using a cocktail shaker, mix 3/4 cup margarita with 1 cup ice. Strain into a glass. Repeat. Serve garnished with basil.